Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dial Daily Bread: Your Cross Belongs to Me

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

Martin Hengel has written a gruesome book of history about crucifixions in the days of the Roman Empire.

Besides describing crucifixion in all its horrible details, Hengel says it was the accepted mode of punishment of runaway slaves.

Now my whole soul revolts against the horribly unjust cruelty of slavery; he says that the Romans learned crucifixion from the Persians and it was just the general idea that a runaway slave deserved crucifixion; if I had been living in that sad era of earth's history, I am sure that if I had been taken as a captive in some war or skirmish and made a slave, I would certainly have wanted to escape and regain my freedom somehow.

Thus I myself am sure I would easily have become a victim of the Roman law of crucifying runaway slaves. In other words, crucifixion would have been my appropriate fate.

Oh Lord Jesus, Your cross belongs to me rightly! You have taken my cross.

I thank You; but more than saying "Thank You" is my duty; Lord, You have purchased me; I belong to You. "My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone!"



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------