What are "guardian angels"? Does everybody have one? Why do they protect some people and not others? It's good for us to ask questions. We need to know how to get those angels detailed to serve us. They are more efficient than armed bodyguards or the President's Secret Service aides. Please note:
(1) We live in Enemy-controlled territory, his majesty the devil being "the prince of this world" (John 14:30).
(2) It is coming increasingly under his control, "defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth," not merely in a physical sense but also morally (Isa. 24:5, 6). When "the princes of this world" expelled Christ from the world (1 Cor. 2:8) they chose a criminal in His place, and crucified Him (Acts 3:14, 15). Jesus is therefore persona non grata in this wicked world (cf. 1 John 5:19).
(3) But although He is in exile from this earth, He has sent His vicar, the Holy Spirit, to be with those who believe in Him (John 14:16, 17; 16:7-13). His presence with God's people is equivalent to Jesus personally being with them (14:18). For centuries, the Holy Spirit has not only "comforted" Christ's loyal believers, He has also exercised a restraining power on the evil in the world (Rev 7:1-4).
(4) Guardian angels are detailed to be "ministering spirits, sent forth [detailed] to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation"--Heaven's Secret Service agents sent to protect "royalty," who by faith have become members of the "family of God" (Heb. 1:14; Eph. 3:15; 1 Peter 2:9).
(5) Common sense sees that those thus protected must be people whose lives are dedicated to "the King's business," to Jesus.
(6) We cannot hazard a guess about others, why they apparently didn't have angels' protection; good sense would tell us that when we pray "in the name of Jesus" we must sincerely be living for Him.
(7) Ask for an angel guard; that is, "pray without ceasing," as families. Then - let us not fear but believe that "the angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear [reverence] Him, and delivereth them" (Psalm 34:7). If you can read this, that means you have their protection thus far!
Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorrow.