Friday, March 20, 2009

Dial Daily Bread: What Is Faith?

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

We talk much about "faith" and many have written books and preached sermons about it.

But what is faith?

The best definition I have found for "faith" is this: it is a heart-appreciation of the love [agape] of Christ.

(1) We know that whatever faith is, it is something that the heart performs because we read, "With the heart man believeth unto righteousness" (Rom. 10:10).

(2) But just what is it that "the heart" does?

(3) The heart "chooses" to "behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29).

(4) It is not a WORK that the heart performs--which "work" could be readily understood as having some merit (and for sure, our "carnal minds" would naturally seek for something to take credit for! Compare Rom. 8:7).

(5) Faith is simply a response of the sinful human heart to the revealing, the pouring-out, of the love [agape] of Christ.

(6) It's a positive response, not careless or negative in any way; the sinner immediately receives the gift of repentance for his hard-heartedness.

(7) Isaac Watts long ago said it well:

"When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the Prince of glory died,

My richest gain I count but loss,

And pour contempt on all my pride."

(8) To "survey"--the exact, right word; but how do you "survey"?

(9) Quietly, alone, on your knees, every earthly voice hushed, radio, TV, cell phones, all our apparatus; you invite the Holy Spirit to enter into your thinking, your comprehension, to be your Teacher while you "wait" patiently "in school" before Him.

(10) Psalm 27 gives the secret now that we want: "When Thou saidst, Seek ye My face; my heart said unto Thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek [!]. I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living [that is, while I am still alive]. ... Wait on the Lord: ... wait, I say, on the Lord" (vss. 8, 13, 14).



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again t