Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dial Daily Bread: Privilege to "Glory" in the Cross

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

"Our beloved brother Paul" (cf. 2 Peter 3:15) who frequently comes up with those brilliant insights into what it means to follow Jesus, said: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; ... and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).

Of all the apostles, apparently only Paul could come up with this idea.

The cross was the focal point of human opprobrium and disgust; for a self-respecting man to imagine himself crucified naked on a cross--this was impossible.

Yet Paul climbs up on that cross "with Christ" to share the shame and hatred and disgust of the world.

Can you imagine the uphill battle that Christ's disciples had--preaching salvation through that despised symbol of depravity? I don't imagine what today would be equivalent!

If you can imagine the apostles of Jesus fanning out around the world holding evangelistic meetings, inviting the public to come in (as we do, maybe in a tent crusade!), can you imagine them "glorying" in that hated symbol of depravity? Even the great Moses, whom everyone revered, declared that "if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree, ... he that is hanged [on a tree] is accursed of God" (Deut. 21:22, 23).

There was no way the early apostles could get around that pronouncement of Moses! It seemed on the surface that God had foredoomed their "evangelism" to be in vain!

Yet the apostle told the Corinthians, "When I came to you, ... I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified" (1 Cor. 2:1, 2). The apostles lifted the heavy burden the Lord had laid upon them and rejoiced in telling the despised but glorious story! Dear brother Paul said, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Gal. 6:14). And "I am crucified with Christ," he declared, for all the world to despise me together with Him (2:20).

Now it's our privilege to "glory" in that cross.

Let's do so!



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorrow.