Monday, February 16, 2009

To Those Who Are No Longer Young

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

Sometimes our little daily morsel is addressed to young people; but this one is addressed to those who are no longer young. (I hope you have computers and access to the Internet so you can get it!). The Bible is especially dear to the aged:

(a) The elderly often have reached that time in life when they feel persona non grata, and they wonder why they're still here.

(b) One of the Lord's promises is: "Listen to Me, ... a load on Me from your birth, upheld by Me from the womb: till you grow old, I am the Lord, and when white hairs come, I shall carry you still; I have made you and I shall uphold you ... to safety" (Isa. 46:3, 4, REV). The KJV says, "carried."

(c) David prays a meaningful prayer: "I find shelter with You; I am a passing guest, as all my forefathers were. ... Let me look cheerful ..." (Psalm 39:12, 13, NEB).

(d) Through Isaiah the Lord promises us: "Even to your old age I am [the Lord]; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you; I have made and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you" (Isa. 46:4, KJV).

(e) David felt concerned about his old age coming on him. He knew that he would never again be able to slay Goliath, to jump on his felled body and draw his giant sword from its scabbard and with it slay him; those days were gone, he knew.

(f) So now David prays a prayer for all who have passed beyond the prime of life: "You are my hope, Lord GOD, my trust since my childhood. On you I have leaned from birth; You brought me from my mother's womb. ... Do not cast me off when old age comes or forsake me as my strength fails. ... God, do not stand aloof from me. ... I shall wait in continual hope, I shall praise You again and yet again, ... although I lack the skill to recount them. ... You have taught me from childhood, God ... Now hat I am old and my hair is grey, do not forsake me, my God. ... Restore me to honour, and comfort me again" (Psalm 71:17-21, NEB).

(g) Jesus was murdered at the tender age of 33 so we don't have Him in His incarnation living as an old Man; but we have the examples of others who were Christlike all their lives and honored Him in their old age.

(h) There is Abraham, whose faith was "counted to him for righteousness" (Gen. 15:6). He is honored in Scripture as the hero of faith, even to the point that he was willing to offer his only son Isaac, trusting that the Lord would raise him from the dead (22:10; Heb. 11:19). No human being, old or young, has ever left a record of such faith that honors the Lord so highly.



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------