Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"
What are "guardian angels"? Does everybody have one? Do they protect some people and not others, and if so, why? It's good for us to ask those questions. We need to know about those angels sent forth to serve us. They are more efficient than armed bodyguards or Secret Service agents. Please note:
(1) We live in Enemy-controlled territory, his majesty the devil being "the ruler of this world" (John 14:30).
(2) It is coming increasingly under his control, "defiled under its inhabitants; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore the curse has devoured the earth," not merely in a physical sense but also morally (Isa. 24:5, 6). When "the rulers of this age" expelled Christ from the world (1 Cor. 2:8) they chose a murderer in His place, and crucified Him (Acts 3:14, 15). Jesus is therefore persona non grata in this wicked world (cf. 1 John 5:19).
(3) But although He is in exile from this earth, He has sent His vicar, the Holy Spirit, to be with those who believe in Him (John 14:16, 17; 16:7-13). His presence with God's people is equivalent to Jesus personally being with them (14:18). For centuries, the Holy Spirit has not only "comforted" Christ's loyal believers, He has also exercised a restraining power on the evil in the world (Rev 7:1-4).
(4) Guardian angels are to be "ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation"--Heaven's Secret Service agents sent to protect "royalty," who by faith have become members of the "family of God" (Heb. 1:14; Eph. 3:15; 1 Peter 2:9).
(5) Common sense sees that those thus protected must be people whose lives are dedicated to "the King's business," to Jesus.
(6) We cannot hazard a guess about others, why they apparently didn't have angelic protection; good sense would tell us that when we pray "in the name of Jesus" we must sincerely be living for Him.
Ask for an angel guard; that is, "pray without ceasing," as families. Then--let us not fear but believe that "the angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear [reverence] Him, and delivers them" (Psalm 34:7).
If you can read this, that means you have their protection thus far!
--Robert J. Wieland
From the "Dial Daily Bread" Archive: August 6, 1999.
Copyright © 2016 by "Dial Daily Bread."