Thursday, July 28, 2016

Dial Daily Bread: The Only Way Our “Life” Can Be Saved

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

When the love of God (agape) is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit given to us, we choose the way of the cross as readily as the Son of God chose it in the heavenly council ages ago, and again as a Boy of twelve in the Jerusalem temple. In each instance, whether in the heart of the Son of God or in the heart of a believing sinner, the results lead to resurrection--which is as much a part of the principle as is the cross. There is Good News! “He who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” (John 12:25).

There are two crosses: the cross of Christ, and the cross for you and me on which we die with Christ as did the penitent thief.

There was a third cross at Calvary, but there was no redemption for the impenitent thief who died on it. He was caught in a suffering and death to which he never surrendered. Rebellious, he cursed his fate and God unto the bitter end, and perished. Shall we rebel against the principle of the cross and follow him to eternal darkness?

Bearing our cross is made easy through seeing that other cross on which our divine Example died. “My yoke is easy,” the crucified One tells us. Through understanding His cross, we can discern our own and find strength to bear it gladly.

“When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a tribute far too small; Love so amazing, so divine, demands my life, my soul, my all." [Isaac Watts]

--Robert J. Wieland

From: In Search of the Cross, chapter 5, 1999.
Copyright © 2016 by "Dial Daily Bread."