Saturday, April 02, 2016

Dial Daily Bread: A Prayer God Told Us to Pray

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

We are invited to come to Jesus, "just as I am." He "receives sinners" (Luke 15:2). We don't have to make ourselves good before we come, in fact, we can't.

But there is one thing we must "do" before any prayer can be listened to and answered; don't misunderstand, this is not a "work" that we must do; it's a step that we must take if we are serious about coming to God.

It's not that God is putting up a barrier to keep people away. We are the ones who have put up a barrier that is hindering us, and it's only common sense that any barrier we have erected between ourselves and God must be removed--by us.

Here's the step we must take: "He who comes to God must [1] believe that He is, and [2, believe] that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him" (Heb. 11:6).

Dear friends around the world, our "job" right now is to get on our knees and tell the Lord frankly, "Father forgive me for doubting You. I choose to believe that you are 'a Rewarder of those who diligently seek You.' It's the hardest thing I have ever done, to confess that I believe this, for it makes me foolish to have doubted Your goodness, Your faithfulness, and yes, Your love. You told me to pray this prayer, and if I do I can never be lost: 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!'" (Mark 9:24).

Thank You, Lord, for welcoming beginners into your kindergarten.

--Robert J. Wieland

From the "Dial Daily Bread" Archive: July 14, 2007.
Copyright © 2016 by "Dial Daily Bread."