Monday, April 27, 2009

Dial Daily Bread: "Wine Is a Mocker"

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

Today we were privileged to visit a famous wine-producing area. We saw the beautiful homes of the wealthy wine-producing merchants, the exquisitely carved walnut woodwork, the delightful stained glass windows, the impressive gardens. Wine produces wealth!

But I couldn't get out of my mind a verse of Scripture; it kept coming back into focus: "Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink,that puttest the bottle to him ..." (Hab. 2:15).

I know and I honor Christian young people who because of that verse of Scripture, youth who need jobs for their education expenses, cannot accept employment in a supermarket because that entails handling the sale of intoxicating beverages.

Why does the prophet of God say "Woe ..." to these people?

The Bible is clear-cut and strong in its denunciation of intoxicating liquor. "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" (Prov. 20:1). "He who loves wine ... will never grow rich," that is, will never be blessed in his life (Prov. 21:17, NEB).

The use of even mildly intoxicating drink is intensely dangerous because it creates the appetite to come for hard liquor, and it appeals to youth of good moral character who otherwise would not be enticed into evil.

Yes, the wealthy people who built these mansions that we visited today are in the Lord's hands for final judgment (as are we all!); we cannot judge them. But as I visited these palatial homes today I could not resist the deep conviction of a clash in values here: "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:3). The Bible multiplies blessings pronounced upon the poor. "To this man I will look," saith the Lord, "even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My word" (Isa. 66:2).

Says the very wise man who wrote portions of the Book of Proverbs: "Two things have I required of Thee [Lord]; deny me them not before I die: remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me, lest I be full, and deny Thee, and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain" (Prov. 30:7-9).

Well, the only word we can think of to say after that, is AMEN!



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorro