Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dial Daily Bread

Dear Friends of "Dial Daily Bread,"

The prophet Isaiah speaks of “eunuchs.”

They were unfortunates in the culture of ancient Israel, for they had been castrated. The idea that was prevalent there long ago was that the only “future” you had was through your children and descendants. You lived on through them.

So, if you were castrated and therefore had no descendants, poor you; you were done for.

It’s not hard for us to imagine what life was like at that time when you were castrated; we today may not be physically castrated, but we can feel useless as though we have no future; we are not leaving anything behind of eternal value. No one is living spiritually as our contribution.

But Isaiah has good news for us! The Lord has good news and special regard for us who feel useless:

“Thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep My Sabbaths, and choose the things that please Me, and take hold of My covenant; even unto them will I give in Mine house and within My walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters [can you imagine that!]: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off” (56:4, 5).

Then the Lord details His blessings for those who embrace His holy Sabbaths: “Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of My covenant; even them will I bring to My holy mountain, and make themjoyful in My house of prayer” (vss. 6, 7).

Well, that’s me; I stumbled on the seventh day Sabbath in my Presbyterian Sunday School, and the dear Lord gave me the grace to embrace it, the grace “not to pollute it” any further.

Am I ever thankful to Him!



Be sure to check your e-mail for "Dial Daily Bread" again tomorrow.